Yesterday was the twentieth anniversary of the publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (or Philosopher’s Stone, the original UK title, if we are being specific!) I have easily read the Harry Potter series far more than any other book, so while I struggle to deem one book as my “favorite”, it would certainly imply that HP is one I truly enjoy the most.
Pardon me while I get my bearings. I’m suffering from weather whiplash. It’s been a bit quiet here on the blog lately because I’ve just returned from a nice vacation in sunny California! And now I’m watching the snow fall heavily outside my window.
As I am enjoying staying inside in our warm house, I thought the perfect way to bounce back into blogging would be to share one of our favorite winter things: colorful fires! I love a good fire and goodness knows we have enough firewood to keep them going.
Maybe it’s because I know I’d be in the house of Hufflepuff. I’m not brave enough to be in Gryffinndor. I am too much of a goody-two-shoes to be in Slytherin. Ravenclaw is a close second, but I don’t think I would ever be able to figure out the riddle passwords to get into my Hogwarts dorm room.
Maybe it’s because I feel like I know what Butterbeer and treacle tarts taste like. Maybe it’s because I can feel the warm, cozy buzz of sitting in Honeyduke’s on a chilly winter day catching up on Charms homework.
Maybe it’s because I love the thrill of watching a good game of Quidditch or the idea camping out for the World Cup with friends.
Maybe it’s because I know I would never want to be in the Tri-Wizard tournament, that I, too, would have disliked Lavendar Brown, and would cringe at receiving a howler from my Mom.
Maybe because I think my patronus would be a songbird. Maybe because I can see myself reading the Quibbler with Luna on the train.
Maybe because I think I’d be BFFs with Ginny. Maybe because I think I would start to be good friends with Hermione after I got used to her. (At first she would annoy me.)
Maybe because I know I would have joined the DA to protect my sorry self. (I don’t see myself being very good at defensive spells. Lack of rapid response.)
Maybe this is why I, along with many other people, have gotten lost in J.K. Rowling’s world of Harry Potter.
The last installment of Potter films premieres tonight at midnight. I am going tomorrow night (!!!) and can’t wait!
But I also feel a twinge of sadness. The same twinge I felt when I finished the Deathy Hallows book for the first time a few years ago. There was no more Hogwarts to learn about and explore.
Behold the power of a good book.
Fan fiction here I come!
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
-J.K. Rowling, “King’s Cross,” Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2007, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
All images from Pinterest.
To say I am anxiously awaiting the epic final film installment of the Harry Potter movies would be an understatement.
Although I was a little slow on the uptake when the books came out, I read all of them a few years ago and have continued to re-read them on a regular basis.
To help curb my appetite, as I have been watching the HP movies this week and keep seeing the trailer on TV, here are my top 9 Etsy HP buys:
1. These earrings are possibly the cutest Harry Potter paraphernalia I came across. Subtle enough for us nerdy muggles to pull off.
2. This is a classic HP charm necklace. A pendant for those with a penchant for the Boy who Lived.
3. Looking to send a post by owl? Send one of these adorable notecards! “I love you like Neville loves Herbology”. Love it!! Although I don’t think my husband would get it…
4. SPOILER. For those of you who haven’t read the books…. don’t read the next sentence….. really. Stop here. *Sigh, we find Severus Snape’s soft spot. (There. Was that vague enough for you movie-only watchers? I hate giving away things.)
5. My lifelong dream is to become a vela. I will be one step closer with their awesome hats! Now I just need to learn how to flutter and I’ll be on my way to Beauxbattons.
6. I solemnly swear that I’m up to no good. This metal-pressed keychain is cute. Although I’d rather have a real Marauder’s Map instead!
7. I would love to hang this up in the subway and crash into it with a shopping cart!
8. LUNA LOVEGOOD earrings! AHH!! Haha! Luna is the greatest little weirdo in the HP series. Put on a pair of these and grab a Quibbler and you’re set to go.
9. Yum. Pumpkin juice. I wonder if they also sell this at the Disney Harry Potter World? I’ve heard the Butterbeer is delish.
“I always knew that Harry’s story would end with the seventh book, but saying goodbye has been just as hard as I always knew it would be. Even while I’m mourning, though, I feel an incredible sense of achievement. I can hardly believe that I’ve finally written the ending I’ve been planning for so many years. I’ve never felt such a mixture of extreme emotions in my life, never dreamed I could feel simultaneously heartbroken and euphoric.”
Says J.K. Rowling on the Deathly Hallows.
I read once that J.K. Rowling started telling her son a made-up story about a wizard named Harry. I remember she said that the character Harry walked into her head fully formed.
I’d like for a multi-billion dollar idea to just walk into my head please.
Beware. It will be stuck in your head for the next day.