A few weeks ago when we went to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, we brought home a special treat for our front door. I’ve seen a lot of these float rope doormats in stores in recent years and we finally decided to bring one home with us.
The front porch has been the name of the game around here lately. We’ve installed a beadboard ceiling, replaced the ceiling fan with a light, re-screened, painted the front door and painted the floor. I’ll share pictures of that later… because right now I’ve mentally moved on to porch eye candy!! The good stuff!
Ahhh, furniture from the days of yore. What am I talking about. All my furniture is from the days of yore.
When I graduated college I bought a desk/dresser/bookshelf “set” (I am using the term “set” very loosely here) on Craigslist. It was an … economical choice. I also didn’t bother grabbing the desk since it was in pretty bad shape, but I knew I needed a really small desk for my bedroom in my first apartment.
Here she is:
I painted her Behr’s “Lettuce Alone” and called it a day. She is pretty beat up, so I knew making this look like a polished piece was never going to happen.
Enter front porch.
We have a screened-in porch that leads to the front door of our house. In my attempt to squeeze out as much fall decorating as I could this year, I wanted to have a sort of table area for decoration and UPS packages etc.
While the desk was mighty useful in the guest bedroom as a catchall for laundry, receipts and the entrails of other construction projects, I thought she’s be much more useful on the porch – and it fit perfectly between our front door and the window!
I took her out on the driveway and sanded her down. I sanded down all the corners to the bare wood. I knew that I wanted this piece to be distressed in hopes of making her beat-up qualities look more charming.
Then I used a paint sample can (a living room reject) of tan. I’m sorry, I don’t know what color it was.
Enter: brain fart. I can’t find my in-process photos, which I’m sure would have been thoroughly entertaining for you all.
I gave the piece 3 coats of paint. Then I got out my sandpaper and went. to. town.
I should have used the Dremel sander, but Moose wasn’t home and I couldn’t find the attachment. Being impatient like I am, I just did it by hand. No magical tricks, I just sanded down the corners and edges until I got to the wood. Since the piece was once painted white before my green, pieces of green and white showed through giving it more character.
Then I stained the whole piece over the paint with Minwax Golden Pecan stain. This gave the desk a weathered feel and helped the exposed wood sections warm up.
Total Project Cost: Since I had most of these supplies on hand I only spent $1.50 on the knob.
Paint: Free (a sample can costs $2.50)
Stain: Free (a small jar costs $4.00)
Sandpaper: Free (about $3.00 for a multi-pack)
It took me about three hours in total work time
And I immediately put some fall decorations on it. I told you I could be impatient.