This project begins like many others in my house. With two little words: Trash. Picking.
There is an interior designer who lives down the street from my parents. Every once in a while she weeds through her stash and puts lots of lovely items she doesn’t need anymore on the curb. In the case of this project, she was getting rid of a swatch book of designer fabrics. I’ve been saving them for eons and the right project finally came long.
I thumbed through it and cut out all the swatches that looks warm, cozy and all-things-autumn.
First, I folded them in half an cut them into rough triangles. Then I ironed them flat.
Then I folded over one “hem” by about 1/4 inch and ironed it down. Then I used dabs of hot glue to “hem” the first side of the triangle.
I let them dry for a few minutes and then I ironed the opposite sides of the triangles. You will want to take care not to press the iron on the hot-glued-hem, as the heat will cause the hot-glue to liquefy again.
When ironing the second side, be sure to create a nice point at the bottom of the triangle. You may need to trim the fabrics slightly to allow for this.
After I ironed down my hems of the second side, I dabbed them with hot glue to make them stay.
After they all had time to harden, I trimmed the corners of the topside. Since I would be hemming this side as well, I didn’t want the corners to peek out the sides. After I cut the corners off, I ironed and hot glued just like before.
Then I ironed each flag flat.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to iron in-between two pieces of fabrics. Otherwise you will get hot glue all over your iron face. Also don’t iron for too long or the hot glue will seep through the front of the flag.
Next I took all my flags and arranged them in the order I wanted them to hang – alternating the plaids, golds, reds and blues. I piled them in order and started to “sew”.
This could hardly be called sewing. If you can thread a needle you can do this part. I overlapped the corners and made a quick loop (by hand) and tied the knot in the back.
Once they were all connected I taped them up with painter’s tape (as to not ruin our freshly painted walls!).
I think it’s sweet. : )
Total Cost: FREE
Total Time: About 2 hours
Now I just need to pretend we have cabinet doors back on the cabinet bases (yep! my living room cabinet doors are also in the abyss of my basement) and get some window treatments up in here.
I already have my swatches picked out for my Christmas one! I can’t wait to make it. Perhaps next time I shall try sewing it.