Six years ago we closed on our house! I can still close my eyes and see our house exactly as it was on that day.
Since we purchased a foreclosure, there were some issues that arose that delayed our closing for a few months and, at the time, it felt like ages! Then we drove from our closing right to the house and walked into the house and found that a huge chunk of the hallway ceiling had suddenly crumbled onto the floor from a leaking pipe. This house was a messy adventure from the very start.
But today I’m not going to talk about the mess or the chaos or projects. Today I thought I’d share some of my favorite things about this house.
The trouble I see with a lot of DIY and home renovation projects on the internet is that when things are new things look good. The real question is, how does it stand the test of time? Today I’m talking about the beadboard wallpaper by Graham & Brown that I put up over five years ago.
In recent years I have dabbled in quilting (I’ve made 5) and find the process to be very fun and relaxing. I am embarking on my next quilt and thought it would be fun to blog the process this time instead of just the end result!
A long time ago my mom was going through her linen closet and asked if I wanted my old Muppets bedsheets from when I was little. The answer was yes! I love the Muppets and loved my Kermit and Miss Piggy sheets. I knew immediately I wanted to use them as a quilt backing. That was about five years ago and they have been waiting in my fabric bin. But now their time has come!
This sweet miniature wicker rocking chair was mine. It was given to me by my Grandparents when a was a toddler and it sat in the corner of my childhood bedroom holding stuffed animals while I grew up. It now has a new home – mine! My daughter loves climbing in and out (and in and out), sitting in the chair to look at books, and stand on it and rock like a wild woman.
While it was still in relatively good condition, it was in need of a little love. A fresh coat of paint was in order. The wicker was cracked in a few parts as well so I decided that making a chair cushion would be the best way to prevent it from getting further damaged.
The blog post I get contacted about the most is the one where I wrote about beginning to restore my Granna’s old steamer trunk. And I can see why – there’s just not a lot of information out there. In fact, when you Google “how to restore a steamer trunk” my little blog comes in in the top 5 results (which I think is hilarious). I started this project in 2014 and – to be honest – have made very little progress with it since I wrote my first post.
Why? Well, I have had a lot of trouble getting all the musty odor out and I ended up tucking it away in the basement for another
day year. Getting the smell out is a priority, because if I can’t resolve that there’s no point in trying to refinish the rest of it.
I know I said I would be posting the 5-years-later-then-and-now post but I wanted to share my favorite room first – the nursery!
We waited to find out if we were having a boy or a girl, so although it needed to be neutral I still wanted the baby’s room to be fun and colorful. (Although, I added the rainbow circle bunting and the colorful teething guard after we brought home our little girl.)
I can hardly believe we have been in the house for five and a half years! We’ve finally reached a good (ahem, healthy) place with our project load.
While our to-do list is still about seven pages long (Yes, really. We wrote one out.) for the first time we have been able to really step away from projects. We knew with the arrival of our daughter last fall that the amount of time for projects was about to take a significant cut, so we tried to get as much as we could finished last summer.
I’m excited to share the finished results of a side project I’ve been working on for quite a while – a quilt made of my husband’s dress shirts! This post is not sponsored by Brooks Brothers. :p
A few years ago I started saving my husband’s dress shirts whenever he wore out the elbows, and they added up rather quickly. I hated to toss the shirt due to a small tear. My crafty brain took over and I knew I would use the fabric for something eventually. After my dress shirt inventory grew to a dozen shirts (I added one of my own), I decided that I wanted to make a quilt. And how fun would it be for the pieces to be identifiable as dress shirts?
If we know how to do anything, it’s draw out a renovation.
We started our bathroom reno about 6 months ago, and are almost crossing the finish line! The bathroom has been 80% done since early summer, and since then we’ve slowly added the last finishing pieces.
It’s CRAZY that we’ve been working on this house for over three years now! It only seems like yesterday that we got the keys to the house – and immediately tore out the built-in bench in the old sunroom, and starting ripping down the wallpaper in the dining room. Every few months, when certain projects get too overwhelming to even think about, I look back at the photos I took when we first bought the house and I realize just how much we’ve gotten done.